chimney cleaning logs burning in the fireplace

Can Chimney Cleaning Logs Replace a Professional Chimney Sweep? No — And Here’s Why

Homeowners thinking about chimney maintenance are always looking to find shortcuts to make cleaning and maintenance less of a hassle. In recent years, chimney cleaning logs have become a more popular alternative to hiring a professional chimney sweep based on promises of the same level of clean at a fraction of the labor. 

However, if you’re wondering whether chimney cleaning logs can replace a professional chimney sweep, here are some of the reasons why they won’t be replacing a chimney sweeper for chimney repair in Egg Harbor Township, NJ, anytime soon. 

What Is a Chimney Cleaning Log?

Chimney cleaning logs are built on the promise of cleaning your fireplace and flue of any creosote that accumulates when you light a fire. You place your log into your fireplace, light it, and as it burns, a chemical gets released that interacts with any creosote deposits and causes it to flake off the sides and fall down into your firebox. From there, you can safely clean it up without any issue. 

Why They Aren’t as Effective as Advertised

While it sounds wildly effective and time-saving in theory, and some varieties even carry seals of approval from the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA,) that doesn’t make it the end all. While it can help clear a good bit of the creosote buildup in your chimney, it doesn’t get all of it. Generally speaking, it can help clear up to 60% of the total creosote accumulation, leaving 40% behind to cause trouble for your family. 

While some creosote does fall, the highly flammable substance drops straight into the still-roaring fireplace, increasing the chances of potentially dangerous flare-ups. Additionally, not every chimney is a straight shot up and out of your home. Many varieties have odd turns and bends where creosote can both hide and not drop straight down into the firebox. 

They Don’t Replace a Thorough Inspection

While creosote buildup is a significant reason why many chimneys can present hidden dangers, they aren’t the only thing that can prove troublesome. Chimney inspections in Egg Harbor Township, NJ, often allow homeowners to identify potential structural issues with their unit and get recommendations from an experienced chimney sweep about what they can do to address it. If you’re only relying on a chimney cleaning log, things can go unaddressed for years until they become a more immediate problem. 

How Can I Reduce Creosote in My Chimney Without Using a Cleaning Log?

If you want to take steps to reduce creosote buildup in your chimney before you call in a certified chimney sweep, you have options available to you. One way is to be more mindful of what kind of wood you use for your fireplace. Logs that have been properly seasoned and treated burn more evenly and don’t let out as much smoke as wet or unseasoned options. This inefficiency can lead to more smoke emissions and creosote building up in your chimney. 

Another way to deal with the creosote found in your chimney starts with getting the professionals out to take a look. Davis Brothers Chimney Sweep and Masonry has made it our mission to provide our customers with the type of thorough chimney inspections that allow them to sleep easily at night. Contact our chimney sweep specialists to schedule your next inspection and put the chimney cleaning logs away for good!